Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Ways I have become more Russian and yet retained my foreignness:

I bought a sweet black and white kepka (cap) at the market behind Gostiny Dvor but I did not successfully haggle for it.
I've started wear boots more often but they are not black, high-heeled, or reach my knees.
I expect chai after every meal but sometimes I drink it 'empty,' that is, without an accompanying sweet.
I've stopped compulsively doing homework but I still come to class, and usually on time, too.
I carry two bags: my small purse and an extra one for class materials, dictionary, etc. but it is not a plastic, multicolored checked bag from Рив Гош (Riv Gosh), as are about half the "second purses" I see around town.
I can't put any of my belongings on the floor, because it is categorically too dirty but sometimes I walk around barefoot in my apartment. When no one else is around, of course.

If I really wanted to assimilate to the Russian Woman stereotype, I would have to

- lose about 7 kilos, preferably by skipping dinner,
- obsessively clean my black, shiny, high-heeled boots,
- wear makeup every day of my life,
- dress to the nines for everything, and
- dye my hair dark red.

Sometimes you have to know where to draw the line.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Darling Hannah,

    I am so happy every time I read your blog. Why the stuttering title - is it cold?
    It's cold here. And snowy. YEAH!
    And the term is finally over.
    Too bad you got stuck in town...but even though you stayed up all night, at least you got your homework done.
    Hope you have a lovely week.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you lost 7 kilos, wouldn't that be the same as losing...the rest of you?

    ReplyDelete