Thursday, December 20, 2007

Well, it's like this

Dear readers,

I have been sitting on a handful of adventures about which I have not had time to blog. RSL exams were this week, as it turns out. I sat in the Bobrinsky computer lab for two hours, painstakingly typing out my Razgovornaya Praktika paper. I figure it took an hour per handwritten page to type; thank goodness it was only three pages. Not only was I busy with conquering the Russian keyboard, but also with some translating work (adventure #2). But RSL finals are over over over! We had an awards lunch — I got an award for being the most interested in things happening in and outside of Smolny, and also in and outside St. Petersburg, and also for being Bryan's personal hairdresser.

"I need a trim," he added.

But the adventures! I will title and number them, and see how far I get in telling them.

  1. Pickpocketed on Nevsky Prospect!
  2. Drinking Tea with a Corporate Party Organizer, his Wife, and their Two Parrots.
  3. A Business Meeting for the Future of Smolny.

Pickpocketed on Nevsky Prospect!


Carly, Amy, and I had just finished checking out a photography exhibit at the Stroganhoff Palace on Nevsky Prospect and were on our way to Riv Gosh (posh store) to abuse the perfume samples. Carly was feeling especially lightfooted, having traded in her winter boots for loafers. She pranced about in front of Kazansky Sobor before setttling down to wait for the light to change. Amy and I caught up with her, and I got stuck behind a man who wasn't crossing the street even though there were no cars-never mind that the light was still red, I wanted to get across the street!

The light finally turned. I started to cross — and then suddenly became aware that someone was messing with my purse. I glanced down: It was open, and my bright red wallet was gone. I wheeled around in the middle of the street. "Nyet, nyet, nyet," I said loudly, grabbing futilely at strangers' midsections. I noticed a man with a hat in one hand, into which he was slipping my wallet.

"Hyet, eto MOY bumazhnik!" I said (No, that's MY wallet), snatching it out of his hand. "O, tvoy?" he said (Oh, it's yours?). I turned and walked as quickly as I could into Riv Gosh to find Carly and wait for my heart to stop pounding.

So that's the shortest, and most intense adventure yet, I would say. I feel like I finally experienced life in the Big City. Not that I wanted to have my wallet stolen, but it's one of those things, you know? At least I recovered it.

Back at the apartment, my host-mom demonstrated how I should carry my purse, hugging it closely to my chest. I think I'll settle for making sure it's zipped shut.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! A stranger using the familiar "you"...sounds sketchy! Glad you came out of it in one piece, AND with your money.
    Congratulations on your awards!?

    Laura

    ReplyDelete